Skip to main content


What is ‘permitted development’?

Permitted Development Rights are automatic planning permissions granted by Parliament for certain specified classes of development. Some outline works which can be carried out on houses without seeking planning permission. Others are for changes of use. The rules are very complicated and can depend on the building type, its age, use, design or location. Our team is here to help you understand the rules and the freedoms that may apply to your site or property.

How do I find out if I need permission?

Your local authority may be able to help you with this although more and more of them no longer offer this service. However, there is an abundance of resources available online for both residential and commercial developers. Our team of friendly knowledgeable experts is happy to help you access, understand and interpret this information.

What is the cost of planning permission?

If your project requires planning permission, then the process will involve paying a fee to your local authority. Indeed, the fees can vary depending on the nature and scale of your project and the type of permission it will require. The Planning Portal offers a helpful cost calculator to help you work out the standard fees for your application. Alternatively, you can call our team to discuss your project in detail.

Can I apply for planning permission before buying the site/house?

Yes, you do not need to own land to apply for planning permission. But, as a rule, you must inform the following parties of your intention, prior to making an application.

  • Land Owner in addition to any part owners
  • Leaseholders with 7 years lease remaining
  • Any agricultural Tenants

What is the difference between an outline and full planning permission?

Outline planning is a form of planning application which you usually submit at an early stage to establish the principle of the development that you have in mind. Unlike full planning permission, it allows the applicant to submit fewer details of the project. Therefore, outlining the developer’s plans to authorities before any substantial costs are incurred. Stewart Management and Planning can help you prepare your application and include the key information required.

What Happens if I don’t get permission?

If development takes place without the correct permission, you may get a visit from your local council authority. A Planning Enforcement Officer will instigate an investigation and may request more information by serving a Planning Contravention Notice (PCN). You should not ignore PCN as it is a criminal offence not to comply with the requirements of a PCN in the timescale given.

If the investigation finds the work is in breach of planning regulations, you will be served an Enforcement Notice. If you have received an Enforcement notice you must act now. The penalty for breaching this notice is a maximum fine of £20,000 in Magistrates court or unlimited in Crown.

If you receive a PCN or an enforcement notice, don’t panic. Contact us and we will be able to advise you on the options available to you.